Posted By Jacob Jans, Editor

How to Earn $300+ in One Day as a Mystery Shopper

Have you ever wondered how some mystery shoppers are able to make more than pocket change with mystery shopping?

In fact, there are mystery shoppers who regularly make hundreds of dollars with mystery shopping – in a single day. (Example.)

While there’s more than one way to make this happen, the most common way is to string together a “route” of shops to complete in a single day, or even over the course of a few days.

ErinHayden, on Mystery Shop Forum, used to be a full-time mystery shopper, and she provides excellent advice on the forum.

“When I did this full-time years ago, I used to be able to contact schedulers. I live in California, so I would say “Hey! I’m going from [home city] to [destination city] on [date]. I’m able to do shops in [list cities along the way]. Do you have any you could assign me in bulk along the route?”

It’s well worth reading her full post here.

(Hint: If you want to do an overnight hotel shop, Coyle offers them, but they can be a lot of work.)

If you’re going to contact schedulers, however, you’ll need to sign up for quite a few companies with potential assignments, and then, ideally, develop quality relationships with more than a few.

As Walesmaven, another forum member, says: “Serious route shoppers are probably signed up with 100-150 MSCs or more.”

It’s amazing how much you can accomplish once you’re an experienced mystery shopper. MountainCacher88 used to panic doing just two or three assignments, but he’s now able to complete up to 15 or more. Though, he’s since scaled back. Doing a route can be a lot of work. $350 can seem like a lot of money for a day’s worth a work, but it can take 12 hours to do this, which works out to less than $30 an hour. For some, that’s well worth it. For others, they’d rather avoid long days.

MountainCacher88 put together a wonderful post that describes what it’s like to put together a route. You can read it here.

Of course, when you’re doing long routes, you should always keep in mind that you can ask for bonuses to complete assignments. This discussion make it clear when it’s the best time to ask for a bonus.

If you’re interested in taking on routes, I published eBook a couple of years ago that goes into detail:

Free eBook: Route Shopping for Mystery Shoppers

Your Comments:

1. Cherylann Amodeo says:

I am looking forward to working with you.
    My daughter did this years ago.
    As I live in Naples,Florida.
    Areas near are Marco Island, Bonita Springs, Fort Myers, just to name a few.
    Cherylann Amodeo

2. David Hoppe says:

Do route shops, highly lucrative. Just need to know who needs shopped along a given path. I been picking up 3 shops that pay a total of $150+ per day. That’s because you have to demonstrate a constant ability to get work done as assigned.

3. Benjamin Robert Kuhar says:

How do you get started mystery shopping….I still get these emails but …Is there one number I call to get put on a list?

• Mrs. Reed says:

You have to go to each of the suggested mystery shopping companies and apply individually. This is not a hiring location.

4. Halina Feliciano says:

how do i get on a list or apply ???

• Lynne Norris says:

Go to mspa-americas.org. They have a list of reputable companies. You will have to apply separately to every company you’re interested in, so it will take you awhile. Most shoppers have signed up with dozens of companies!

5. Halina Feliciano says:

how do i get on a list or apply ??? or is there a number to call?

6. Debbie Chesmar says:

I’m interested how do I get started.

7. Monica Atherton says:

How can I get started, I’m very intrested.

8. Jane Brandt says:

My only question is, how do they finish all the reports by the deadlines? I struggle to do two or three, and that’s not spending the entire day shopping.

9. Mary Osborne says:

Interested in being a mystery shopper please let me know how to get started

10. 995201 247045Hey! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect against hackers? Im kinda paranoid about losing everything Ive worked hard on. Any recommendations? 960062

11. Google says:

Below youll discover the link to some internet sites that we consider you need to visit.

12. ww88 says:

657343 810704Thank you for your quite good details and respond to you. I require to verify with you here. Which isnt one thing I often do! I get pleasure from reading a publish that can make individuals feel. Additionally, thanks for permitting me to remark! 270041